Frequently Asked Questions
New Recycling Program
1. How do I identify if an item is accepted by the new recycling program?
Here are some quick tips:
- Items must be from the residential sector (not businesses, institutions, festivals or campgrounds)
- Items must have been sold as packaging or printed paper rather than a product.
- Plastic bags must not be made of laminate plastics. Test for laminate plastic: the bag does not stretch & the bag makes a crinkly sound when crushed.
- If in doubt, please ask the staff at your nearest depot or contact the Let’s Talk Trash team at email@example.com or 604-485-0020
- Note: all glass, Styrofoam and plastic bags are only accepted at recycling depots, not through the city’s curbside program.
- Please refer to the Accepted Materials list for a complete list of accepted and non-accepted items. List is also available at www.recyclinginbc.ca
2. What are some examples of accepted and non-accepted items?
Open the links below for visual examples of accepted and non-accepted items.
Plastic Bags Take to Depots only, not curbside
Glass & Styrofoam Take to Depots only, not curbside
3. Who should I contact if I have questions or concerns?
Refer to the following Contact List
4. What are the depot hours of operation?
Lund Recycling Depot: Wed – Sat 10:00am – 4:00pm
Sliammon Salish Center Depot: Tues – Sat 9:00am – 5:00pm
NEW Town Center Depot: Tues – Sat 8:00am – 5:30pm
Blackpoint Store Depot: Tues – Sat 9:00am – 5:00pm
Augusta Recyclers: Mon – Sat 8:00am – 5:00pm
Gilles Bay, Texada Depot: Wed, Fri & Sun 9:00am – 5:00pm
Van Anda, Texada Depot: Tues, Thurs & Sat 9:00am – 5:00pm
Sunshine Disposal & Recycling: Mon – Sat 8:00am – 5:00pm
(paper, cardboard & #2 plastic only – Commercial recyclables accepted)
5. Where are the recycling depots located?
The City’s town centre has a depot in the parking lot between Rona and the MCC thrift shop.
South of Powell River: at the Black Point Store & *Augusta Recyclers (note different hours of operation for Augusta Recyclers: Mon – Sat 8am – 5pm).
North of Powell River: at Sliammon Salish Centre & in Lund (behind the hotel).
Texada Island: in Gillies Bay at the Texada Community Hall & across Gillies Bay Road from the the gas station in Van Anda.
Lasquesti Island: next to the Fire Hall (behind the Free Store).
6. How do I get a recycling guide of the new list of accepted items?
A copy of the guide was mailed out to all residents who accept ad mail.
You can also view the guides online:
7. I’m a city resident. Can I use the rural depots?
Yes, feel free to use either the curbside program offered to most city residents, or the rural depots. Note that the following items are NOT accepted at curbside (styrofoam, plastic bags, glass)