Thanks to all who came out to the Zero Waste afternoon on November 29th! If you weren’t able to join in, we’ve uploaded our Zero Waste presentation slides, and below, have included the videos shown so you can view and share them at your leisure. This Zero Waste event included:
- What Zero Waste is all about (video link to Paul Connett, author of The Zero Waste Solution)
- A review of the current MMBC recycling program
- A time line of the new items that will be accepted at select recycling depots (video about cork recycling: ReCork).
- A presentation on avoiding Food Waste & on Larger Scale Composting possibilities in Powell River
- The possible formation of a Resource Recovery Park in Powell River through a collaboration including local businesses, organizations, vendors and artists. (video link to Gibson’s Recycling facility)
- A presentation by guest speaker, Jill Doucette, founder of Synergy Systems (specialist in ‘Greening’ Businesses)
- Local guest speakers: Melissa Call, owner of Ecossentials (speaking about the challenges of ‘greening’ a business), and Chloe Smith & Guadalupe Dufour, who are upcycling barley bags from Townsite Brewery into 6 pack totes and more!
- Introduction to the concept of the ‘The Sharing Economy‘ which can facilitate the sharing of our resources and thus decrease the waste we produce.